Freedom to Choose was founded in 2005 to oppose the introduction of a blanket smoking ban in the UK. We are a non-profit making voluntary organisation funded solely by the contributions of our members, who come from all walks of life and are united in their determination to expose the myths about smoking that are currently leading to the removals of the freedoms of the people of this nation.
We do not represent either extreme of the smoking ban debate; rather, we are a pro-choice organisation seeking accommodation of the needs of smokers and non-smokers alike and to allow both to work and socialise in harmony. We are able to demonstrate that tolerant alternatives to a blanket smoking ban exist, are already working well in many other countries and that the majority of the UK population want partial restrictions on smoking rather than a total ban.
i) to promote freedom of choice and oppose any coercive restraints upon that freedom by any lawful means and with particular reference to the negative effects of smoking bans on individuals, businesses and organisations
ii) to advance public education in such matters. We campaign to highlight our objections to the current UK legislation, which include but are not limited to the following:
• Parliament and the general public have been misinformed on the health risks of second-hand smoke, which are not supported by the majority of scientific studies in this area.
• The ban is already needlessly causing enormous and irreparable damage to the hospitality and entertainment industries.
• Communities are suffering as a result of their social venues closing.
• Smokers represent at least 1/4 of the UK adult population yet face discrimination and social exclusion on a daily basis.
• The UK ban is out of step with the majority of the rest of Europe, where smoking restrictions permit choice for venues and their customers.
• Modern ventilation and air filtration can effectively remove 99.97% of airborne particles and make indoor air cleaner than outdoor, regardless of smoking.