Proclaimed as the "Pride of the Pacific," the beautiful Hawaii Theatre, built by the Consolidated Amusement Company, opened its doors September 6, 1922 in downtown Honolulu. The Hawaii Theatre operated as a showplace for vaudeville, plays, musicals and silent films until it fell into disrepair and the land lease was abandoned by Consolidated in 1984.
In 1986, the Hawaii Theatre Center, a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation was formed to save the Hawaii Theatre from the wrecking ball and in May 1996, the Hawaii Theatre reopened its doors as a 1400-seat, multi-purpose, state-of-the art performance center. The Hawaii Theatre was recognized as the 'Outstanding Historic Theatre in America' in 2005 by the League of Historic American Theatres and, in 2006, was awarded an Honor Award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places, the Hawaii Theatre is available for all of Hawaii to enjoy.