Manchester Home Inspector Services Ltd provide fully qualified, licensed and accredited Home Inspectors / Commercial & Domestic Energy Assessors.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are now required for VIRTUALLY ALL BUILDINGS (Commercial and Domestic) when SOLD, RENTED OR CONSTRUCTED. COMMERCIAL EPCs must be carried out by a qualified Commercial Energy Assessor

Home Information Packs (HIPs) are now required by Law, and apply to everybody who wants to advertise their home for sale.

Two of the most important parts of the HIP are the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and the Home Condition Report (HCR).

Currently, the EPC is a mandatory part of the HIP, whilst the HCR is voluntary. This may well change in the coming months. The HCR may become a mandatory part of the HIP as well, as it was originally supposed to be.

By Law, a licensed Home Inspector is the only Professional that is qualified to carry out BOTH the EPCs and the HCRs.

The Home Condition Survey is specifically designed for Home Buyers who wish to have a property surveyed before they buy it, whereas the Home Condition Report is designed for the Seller to include in their Home Information Pack. As the Home Condition Report is a voluntary document, some Sellers would rather not draw attention to the defects of a property and therefore Reports are not being included.

Commercial EPCs are required from 1st October 2008 for all "conditioned" commercial buildings over 50sq metre when they are sold, let, modified (building fabric or services) or constructed. A "conditioned" building is one with a roof and walls which uses energy to condition the indoor climate i.e. some levels of heating, mechanical ventilation or cooling

Failure to provide an EPC can result in a fine of 12.5% of the rateable value of the building up to a maximum of 5,000 pounds. Enforcement is carried out by local Trading Standards departments.