Safe Communities Algarve is part of Safe Communities Portugal and is a free on line community service dedicated to crime prevention in the country.
The Aim of Safe Communities Algarve (SCA) is to promote safer communities, enhance security awareness and reduce the risk of becoming a victim of crime.
The service is supported by the British and Dutch Ambassadors to Portugal as well as the Guarda Nacional Republicana (GNR), Public Security Police, Judicial Police, SEF and other law enforcement agencies.
SCA provides the following services:
1. Downloads of crime prevention advice
2. Information about the GNR's Safe Residence Program
3. Seminars to the public and community organizations on crime prevention
4. Links to other crime prevention/police websites in 11 languages
5. A monthly radio feature on Kiss FM called "Crimecheck"
6. On line newsletter entitled "News Today"
7. On line link to the Ministry of Interiors on- line crime reporting system
SCA was founded by David Thomas in October 2011. David retired as Assistant Commissioner of Police, Hong Kong Police Force in 2005, and thereafter worked as a consultant for INTERPOL for a period of four years. In 2010 he worked as a consultant for the United Nations Office on Drugs and crime. Since then he has been heavily involved in promoting the work of the police in the Algarve in particularly the GNR's Safe Residence Program.
Safe Communities Portugal is a unique service in Portugal providing the above services to the whole community.