Founded in 2008 by Victory V. Lee, the Victory Garden Foundation began and still remains a neighborhood grassroots movement founded in the spirit of the historical Victory Garden movement of the 1940’s. Incorporated and receiving its nonprofit status in 2009, the Victory Garden Foundation Inc (VGF) mission is simple. Encourage people to grow their own food at home! Be part of the Victory!
The goals of VGF are to support the growth of food at home through connecting and sharing with individuals through the sustainable growth and harvest of Victory Gardens in communities throughout the East Bay California and beyond. VGF is committed to achieving these goals through education and outreach, financial and technical assistance, mentoring, and advocacy through the Internet, workshops, and hands-on participation. The Victory Garden Foundation Inc is a non-profit public community-benefit (501c3) organization Tax ID# 27-0598299.
VGF is comprised of the Founder Victory V. Lee, a Board of Directors, and dedicated volunteers with media partnerships with multiple complementary organizations sharing a similar vision. VGF is a 100% volunteer organization. The roots of VGF are sustained through monetary and in-kind donations from generous individuals and businesses.
2010/2011 VGF Accomplishments::
• 30+ Garden Work Parties (GWP) scheduled.
• 150+ volunteers participated on GWP work crews.
• Conducted 10 gardening classes for 75 participants.
• Initiated 1 new community garden in Oakland CA.
• Consulted with 5 community gardens including conducting on-site classes.
• 260 website members and increasing.
• 128 gardens registered on our garden map around the world and counting.
• Started One Home, One Garden ™ program for apartment dwellers and indoor food gardening
• Launched three (3) major gardening campaigns:
• Entering our 2nd Annual 350 Victory Garden Challenge. 131 gardens registered and counting.
• For 10-10-10 sustainable event collaborated with Berkeley 10-10-10. Encouraged people to grow food at home and advocated for gardening as a positive way to address global warming. 30 gardens registered.
To learn more about the Victory Garden Foundation and how you can become involved please visit our website at www.VictoryGardenFoundation.org, join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/VictoryGardenFoundation or follow us on Twitter @Victory2U or, send an email to Director@VictoryGardenFoundation.org
About the founder::
As a youngster in Detroit Michigan, Victory V Lee grew up with her hands in the dirt alongside the women in her family. Offering lots of sweat and hard work into her family’s very own Victory Garden, it was during this time she realized her passion and enjoyment for growing and sharing food in her neighborhood. This passion remains present within Ms. Lee as she continues on in her family’s tradition to resurrect the spirit of the Victory Garden by sharing her love for home grown food with others.