November 8 & 9th, 2010
Melia Cohiba Hotel, Havana Cuba
The 1st Annual International Conference on Sustainable EduTourism is being held in Havana, Cuba a destination wellknown for its splendid geography, vibrant culture and excellent education system. Cuba has focused heavily on tourism, culture and education over the past few decades and exemplifies a sustainable EduTourism destination.
This conference will explore, inspire and consider the opportunities and benefits that exist when the Educational, Cultural and Tourism/Hospitality sectors collaborate to identify and promote a region’s unique EduTourism offerings.
Leading international experts within these sectors will provide insights, stimulate discussion, and inspire and facilitate capacity-building sessions on how to identify and move forward with creative EduTourism initiatives.
basic definition of EduTourism is when someone travels to a unique location, for the purpose of formal or informal learning.
Examples of EduTourism are:
* eco tourism
* agricultural tourism
* medical tourism
* cultural and or historic tours
* language courses
* culinary training
* short or long term academic programs
* courses, conferences, seminars, colloquium
* sabbatical and or employee exchanges
* sports tourism
* special interest tours
Benefits of EduTourism
* Attracts a wide base of consumers who are less satisfied with 'package' vacations
* Has the potential to create a socially and economically sustainable tourism product that benefits both the region and its visitors.
* Can help rejuvenate tourism throughout the world, celebrating cultures and the intermingling of residents and visitors.
* It can provide great support for preservation and conservation of the local environment and culture and provide more meaningful opportunities for residents and visitors.
* One of the most obvious benefits of EduTourism is the sustainability aspect of it in that the local population is being more actively involved in the direct and indirect benefits of tourism.