Volunteer posts exist with FACE Nepal (http://www.facenepal.org), a community development NGO in Nepal which works with local communities near Chitwan National Park.
FACE Nepal was set up after local frustration with the typical approach of existing aid organisations. We are run by, and work directly with the local community, and aim for a transparent approach in all our operations.
Various opportunities exist including:
1. Teaching in learning centres- teaching English to children outside of school hours, in learning centres built by FACE Nepal, to give them additional knowledge of English
2. Work in Government schools, assisting English teachers with classes to ensure that the students get better standards of English, which is crucial for career progression in Nepal
3. Work in an Orphanage, either in a teaching role, or in a non-teaching role. In both roles, you would work with the children to provide games and activities.
4. Work in a local tree nursery, growing plants to offset regional deforestation.
5. If you have medical experience, your work in a local healthcare centre would be invaluable.
6. Work in the office of FACE Nepal, using your skills in IT, administration or marketing to improve the organisation's ability to support teaching, healthcare and conservation.
You would live with a local Nepali family and have accommodation and food provided by them- as a result of this there is a small fee- $425 for one month or $575 for two months. This also includes the costs of getting volunteers from Kathmandu to their placement.
Apart from the healthcare position, no previous experience is required, just a positive attitude and commitment to improving the lives of some of the world's poorest people.
Please visit http://www.facenepal.org for more details