The Shea family began in the writing instrument industry in 1928 making fountain point nibs. With the introduction of the ballpoint refill in the 1950′s, Rotary Pen was founded and began injection molding plastic components to house the writing cartridge. In the 1970′s through a partnership with the National Industries for the Blind, Rotary Pen was instrumental in bringing writing instruments to US government employees. This collaboration continues to provide hundreds of jobs to blind and handicapped workers. With the large growth of the promotional product industry in the following three decades, Rotary Pen continued to manufacture its pens which became a commonplace in the industry. When most other pen manufacturers moved off-shore during the 1990′s and early 2000′s, Rotary Pen remained dedicated to its original goal of manufacturing its products in the United States.