Martin Luther King, Jr., is credited with the quote: "We are not makers of history; we are made by history.â€? This certainly holds true in review of the past account of TheCommunity Of Faith Church. With anointed men of God as leaderswho operated infaith and prayerwho possessed voices of vision and couragewho were guided by the Bible and focused on the Kingdom..we are now carriers of the torch. We are challenged to serve this present age and to be bridge-builders for generations unborn.
The humble establishment of Mount Pillow church occurred on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou in 1873, by way of the visionary voice of Pastor Jack Henry Yates. This church was blessed with several dynamic leaders, among whom was Pastor Charlie Daniel James Dixon, who was installed in 1927. He served the church faithfully and provided much needed stability during times that were economically depressed and socially oppressed.
In 1949, the congregation followed their pastor in relocation from the corner of State and Hemphill Street to 5309 Feagan. For a time, worship was held under a tent prior to building construction. Due to membership and ministry growth, the wood framedstructure was expanded and remodeled. In 1974 the mortgage was burned. In 1978 Pastor Charlie Daniel James Dixon entered eternal rest, following over 50 years ofmonumental ministry service. Before his demise, he shared his recommendation that Pastor Clovis E. Johnson would become his replacement. Therefore, in 1978, the churchcalled Pastor Johnson to fill the vacancy.
Pastor Clovis Johnson served the church for nearly three years. In early 1981, he elected to resign. This action forced the congregation to go before the Lord in intense and focused prayer for their next leader. In July, 1981, the Lord revealed the church's next Pastor: The newly ordained, 18 year-old, James Wallace Edwin Dixon, II, a recent high school graduate and grandson of the late Pastor C. D. Dixon.
Against all odds the congregation began to grow rapidly with this young visionary at the helm. His passion for evangelism and outreach was evidenced in the new ministries implemented and programs launched. In October, 1986, God inspired the 23 year-old pastor to lead the church to relocate to 1023 Pinemont; a truly ambitious undertaking which occurred on November 19, 1986. This move marked the beginning of a series of changes and enormous accomplishments. In 1987, birth was given to â€œThe Community Of Faithâ€? concept, which continues to result in kingdom development and expansion. As a new era emerged, the vision broadened to include economic and real estate ventures. A major acquisition of 22.6 acres of land transpired in November of 1990 at a cost of $995,000. It would be the sight for the new sanctuary. Due to its constant growth and reach beyond Northwest Houston, the church is appropriately called "The Community Of Faith." Through its ever-expanding vision, affiliate entities have resulted, namely:
Dominion Preparatory Academy
Dominion Community Development Corporation
Dominion Square Apartments
On May 23, 1996, a groundbreaking ceremony for construction of an ultra-modern, 2,500 seat, state of the art sanctuary was held. On the third Sunday in July, 1998, the entrance service was celebrated and Pastor Dixon led hundreds of dedicated disciples into the "House That Faith Built-- The King's Dome, one of Houston's finest places of worship. Other components include 45 classrooms, a banquet facility, a production studio and a 24-hour prayer chapel.
"We are building a model Community of Faith, extending God's kingdom Biblically, evangelistically, educationally, politically, socially and globally;" our Vision Statement. The multifaceted array of programs and projects for the development and nurturing of active disciples currently consists of 7 governing departments; 35 ministry components and an ever-evolving ministry menu. The Community Of Faith is swiftly becoming the epicenter of "kingdom" magnetism. In December, 2003, the Community Of Faith Church hosted the Kingdom Builders Fellowship's consecration service bestowing upon Pastor James Dixon, II, the status of Bishop.
In May of 2004, Bishop Dixon led a missionary group to Uganda, East Africa. Following a massive crusade, the ribbon-cutting ceremony for The Community Of Faith Church - Uganda was witnessed, completing Phase I of our global vision. Work continues in this underdeveloped region with Phase II plans encompassing the construction of a health clinic and school.
In August 2004, another sovereign move of God occurred. During days of failing health, Pastor Robert I. Dixon, son of the late C. D. Dixon and leader of the First Baptist Church Greens Bayou, shared his heart for his nephew, Bishop Dixon to give oversight to the congregation following his demise. An interim arrangement concluded with First Baptist Church Greens Bay